Personal Background and Practice Areas
Stephen Cohen’s practice involves commercial and civil litigation in both state and federal courts, including complex business matters, employment, trade secret, and unfair competition cases, corporate and partnership disputes, securities litigation, contract and lease disputes, and appeals. Mr. Cohen also conducts internal investigations for corporate clients, and regularly counsels businesses and executives on employment issues.
Mr. Cohen began his career as a judicial clerk for Florida Supreme Court Justice Stephen H. Grimes. Prior to founding Bajo Cuva Cohen & Turkel, Mr. Cohen was a shareholder in the litigation department of a full service Tampa law firm.
Education & Background
J.D., with honors, Florida State University College of Law, 1992
B.B.A., Emory University, 1989
- Member of Law Review (Associate Editor, 1992)
Law Clerk to the Honorable Stephen H. Grimes, Justice, Florida Supreme Court (1992-1994)
11th Circuit Court of Appeals
United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
Awards & Recognition
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (2006 and 2007)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association - Outstanding Young Lawyer Award (2003)
- The Florida State University Law Review, Best Legislative Article Award, Vol. 19 (for Comment, Exempting the Mentally Retarded from the Death Penalty: a Comment on Florida’s Proposed Legislation, 19 Fla.St. U. L. Rev. 457 (1991)
Professional Memberships and Activities
Hillsborough County Bar Associaion
The Florida Bar, 13th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (2005-2008)
- Young Lawyers Division Board of Directors (1998-2003),
- Board of Directors (2001-2003, 2009-2010)
- Trustee, Hillsborough County Bar Foundation (2001-2002)
Tampa Bay Little League
- Board of Directors (2006-present)
- President , 2010
Notable Client Work
- Represented energy company in same-sex harassment suit, successfully defending company through jury trial.
- Represented public company in contract dispute with its former Chief Operating Officer who sought damages in excess of $1,000,000.00; successfully defended the case, receiving a jury finding which voided the contract, and a jury award on the company’s counterclaims against the executive and his wife for civil theft.
- Represented securities broker dealer in connection with an attempted hostile takeover by its former president; obtained injunctive relief in state court and a NASD arbitration award in excess of $1,000,000.00 (including punitive damages) against the former executive for, among other things, fraud and theft.
- Successfully defended securities broker dealer in FINRA arbitration involving claims of breach of employment agreement, breach of stock option agreements, and defamation, and seeking damages in excess of $10,000,000.00.
- Represented financial services company in connection with investigation of sexual harassment allegations against Chief Operating Officer.
- Represented state-wide law firm in legal malpractice action brought by condominium developer.
- Defended physician in lawsuits brought by former employer to enforce restrictive covenants, trademarks, and advertising restrictions.
- Represented registered representatives in court and NASD arbitration proceedings brought by a former employer alleging violations of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, and theft of trade secrets.
- Represented securities broker dealer in whistle blower action alleging accounting and other financial improprieties.
- Represent several large, national real estate investment concerns, handling tenant eviction, collection, and lease disputes throughout Florida.
- Represent securities broker dealers in claims asserted by customers, including suitability, churning, failure to supervise, fraud, and similar claims.
- Represented financial services company in large scale DOL audit involving over 100 employees.
- Represented mortgage services company in DOL audit involving various overtime exemptions.
- Represented parking services company in DOL wage and hour investigation.
- Represent corporate clients in EEOC and FCHR investigations, and litigation involving discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Represent large internet technology companies in whistle blower case involving alleged financial and regulatory improprieties.
- Represent insurance company in action brought by former independent agents for negligence and breach of contract.